COVID-19 caused by coronavirus is a viral infection that mainly impacts the respiratory system and can be mild or severe depending upon its symptoms. Covid-19 is infectious and can be transmitted to others quickly, and therefore, causes life-threatening symptoms.
You need first to get tested for COVID-19. Various types of diagnostic tests help us to identify the symptoms. Otsego lab tests help to know if you are infected and the severity of the infection.
Whether infected or not, you need to follow some preventive measures to keep yourself and your family safe. Some of the preventive measures are:
- Always wear a mask when outside or when physical distancing is not possible.
- Wash your hands with soap for hand washing or use an alcohol-based hand rub if soap is not available. Frequently wash your hands for at least 20 seconds after touching anything and eating.
- Avoid social gatherings for being in a group. Work from home if necessary and when outside, avoid physical touch with anyone.
- Do not touch your face frequently as the virus from your hand can quickly enter through your nose, eyes, and mouth.
- Cover your mouth with a tissue or with your elbow when you cough or sneeze. Safely discard the tissue in a dustbin.
- Use disinfectants to clean surfaces at home.
- Choose an open ventilated room with open windows.
- Quarantine yourself if you are sick, and call your doctor or health care provider to get tested and treated.
Treatment at home:
When your symptoms are mild and not life-threatening, your doctor may suggest you quarantine yourself and prescribe you some medication.
- You must rest during home quarantine and avoid physical contact with your family.
- Disinfect your room and don’t share your utensils and clothes with anyone.
- Have a healthy, nutritious diet and consume plenty of water when you have a fever.
- Keep monitoring your symptoms.
Treatment for severe cases:
- Remdesivir (Veklury) – is the first antiviral drug approved by bi-fold and drug administration to treat coronavirus. It is a broad-spectrum drug used to treat hospitalized adults and children above 12 having severe effects.
- EUAs (emergency use authorizations) medication- some medications like bamlanivimab, etesevimab in combination with bamlanivimab, casirvimab with imdevimab, baricitinib oral medication administered with remdesivir, and Fresenius Kabi Propoven 2% (IV sedative) are medications that have not received FDA approval but can be used in situations where there is no alternative.
- EUA approved blood plasma – also known as convalescent plasma. Blood plasma from recovered patients is taken to treat severe patients suffering from COVID-19.
- Many clinical trials are being conducted for the use of different medications for COVID-19.