Diwali or Deepavali is the Hindu festival of lights. It marks the return of Lord Ram, Sita and Lakshman from their 14 years of exile back to their kingdom of Ayodhya in the Hindu epic of Ramayana. It is on their arrival that they see that their entire kingdom is lit with oil lamps also known as diyas in their welcome. And the tradition thus continues to date. Today every house is decorated with diyas and LED lights and lanterns. Kids and adults alike also burst firecrackers for the same reason.
Diwali is a glorious festival and a social time. Friends and family visit each other with sweets and chocolate boxes of different kinds to spread joy and love. They wear exceptional traditional clothes and dress up to pray to Goddess Lakshmi on this auspicious day too. The period of Diwali is known to be the time Goddess Lakshmi enters homes and blesses devotees with wealth and success. This is why doors are left open on the eve of Diwali and it is also why people clean their homes!
As you gear up for Diwali and the excitement of the festivities gets to you, make sure you are more than prepared for this mega festival. Here is a comprehensive shopping list you will need to be prepared for Diwali 2022:
- Sweets or chocolates: A chocolate box or a box of sweets is very important to have at home during this season. As guests come unannounced, your home should always try to have sweets to give to your guests and even chocolate bars to exchange. Many families exchange dry fruits, sweets, clothes and other gifts during this time, hence a selection of some of these gifts are truly important.
- Cleaning Essentials: Diwali cleaning is a major activity that every member of the family takes up to welcome Goddess Lakshmi. For this activity, you will need many cleaning items like floor cleaners, surface disinfectant spray, laundry cleaners, brooms, mops, wipes, room fresheners, etc.
- Puja Samagri: As it is a huge festival, your home will require all kinds of puja samagri mainly: agarbatti, matchsticks, dhoop sticks, diyas, lamp oil, cotton, camphor, coconuts, mango leaves, puja thread, vermillion, turmeric, rice grains, fresh fruits, flowers, etc.
- Food items: Since Diwali is one of the main festivals of Hindus, there are many traditional meals and dishes cooked during this time. It is important to keep your home stocked up with all the food ingredients required to make a traditional festive meal. This includes items such as ghee, atta, rice, sugar, salt, spices, masalas, vegetables, cooking oil, fresh fruits, khoya, dry fruits, etc.
- New clothes: Most Indians buy new clothes for the festival of Diwali. Generally, these are traditional clothes worn on the eve of Lakshmi Puja to welcome the Goddess in your life. Diwali shopping for a family can be quite stressful with the plethora of options and sales along with a lot of crowds. Hence make sure to find good stores with discounts and shop for the best Diwali clothes beforehand.
- Decoration: Check if you are short on diyas or lights. Since most houses are decorated with lights and candles, make sure to add these to your list. Even fairy lights and LED lights make for great lighting instruments during Diwali. Flowers and rangoli powders are two other important items to have during the festival as no Diwali is complete without a beautiful rangoli on your doorstep!