Today we are looking at how you can regain 10-15% traffic by using 301 redirects. It is really easier than you imagine.
I know it is really hard to improve some search traffic. I know it is hard so this is a small technic to regain some search traffic from popular search engines like Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc. Before jumping into the method directly, let’s check what is 301 redirect.
301 Redirects – Google Explain
I think you already know Google is the world’s largest search engine and it gets millions of search queries per day. So Google’s word is really important when things come to SEO and 301 redirects.
Google says “If you need to change the URL of a page as it is shown in search engine results, we recommend that you use a server-side 301 redirect. This is the best way to ensure that users and search engines are directed to the correct page. The 301 status code means that a page has permanently moved to a new location.”
When To Use 301 Redirects?
When to use 301 Redirects? Between starting to learn about when to use 301 Redirects, let’s understand what is a redirection. Wikipedia explains “URL redirection, also called URL forwarding, is a World Wide Web technique for making a web page available under more than one URL address. A user might mistype a URL, for example, “example.com” and “exmaple.com”. Organizations often register these “misspelled” domains and redirect them to the “correct” location: example.com. The addresses example.com and example.net could both redirect to a single domain, or web page, such as example.org.”
Now let’s look into some of the situations when you can use redirects. Here we go.
- You should use 301 redirections when you move from HTTP to HTTPS.
- Broken pages and links are actually 404 pages and if you have broken pages, you should use 301 redirects to fix all 404 errors.
- You can use 301 redirects when deleting content or content Is no longer need
- You can use 301 redirects when you are changing URLs for any reason
- If you’ve removed any pages during a redesign process, make sure you redirect those pages correctly
- Fixing duplicate content issues
- Merging two domains
How to Set Up 301 Redirects?
Setting up 301 redirects is not harder as you imagine, setting up 301 redirects is actually simple. Normally users prefer 2 methods to set up 301 redirects. Method number one is through via .htaccess and the second method is Via Plugins.
Setting up 301 redirects can be done via the .htaccess file on your server but if you are not an expert in WordPress, we recommend you to use redirect WordPress plugins like WP 301 redirects. Let’s check how can this plugin help you to set up 301 redirects.
- You have the option to set up redirects from Pages, Posts, etc.
- Set a custom destination URL
- Import/Export feature for bulk redirects management
- Fast redirection to improve your SEO
- Redirects stats to know how redirections are performed
When you use 301 redirects properly, I’m sure that it will help you to regain your search traffic. Hope this article helps you to learn more about 301 redirects. If you like to resize images, resizeimg.com.