Medications that treat mental health issues do not work for everybody, and in some instances, they can lead to severe side effects. When medications do not work for you, why not try the personalized repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (PrTMS)? PrTMS works by treating mental disorders through brain stimulation therapies, using electrical currents directed on a specific part of the brain. The electricity directed in the brain cells could be generated using magnetic fields. You can seek recommendations for a San Diego psychiatrist near you who specializes in PrTMS treatment. Before undertaking the PrTMS, your psychiatrist should inform you what happens, what to expect, safety measures, and the advantages of the treatment.
Can You Receive the PrTMS Treatment?
Almost everybody can receive the PrTMS treatment unless you have a non-removal metal in your head, except braces and dental fillings, which could cause serious health issues. Metals in the head can heat-up, malfunction, or move, posing serious injury, and possible death. Some metals that could cause health issues include aneurysm clips, stents in the neck, deep brain stimulators, electrodes that monitor brain activities, facial tattoos with magnetic sensitive ink, and any other metal near the head.
What Happens During PrTMS Procedure
When you walk in for PrTMS treatment, you will remove all magnetic sensitive devices, since the process uses magnetic pulses. You can wear earplugs to protect your ears and guard against loud clicks from each pulse produced during the treatment. You will have a coil adequately placed on your head, suspended on the scalp, while the doctor measures your threshold using brief pulses. Once the minimum threshold is achieved, the treatment begins, the currents should have the right amount of energy to stimulate the brain. The pulses rewire the brain, making it function correctly, leading to improved health.
Who Benefits From the Treatment?
Although it is best for patients who are highly-resistant to medical treatment, PrTMS works well for patients who are less resistant to treatments. However, there are still learning gaps about different variables that impact response to PrTMS treatment. There is more interest in evaluating the mental response of combining antidepressants and PrTMS on depression and anxiety.
Benefits of PrTMS
- PrTMS has few side effects, compared to drugs which are likely to cause issues such as sexual dysfunction, dry mouth, headaches, insomnia, sleepiness, weight gain or loss, nausea, and nervousness. PrTMS benefits include:
- Not having adverse effects on concentration and memory.
- It also has no device-drug interaction.
- Works best for almost everyone with mental issues.
- It uses a personalized treatment to help patients attain better mental health outcomes.
- Patients do not need to use anesthesia, and after treatment, they can drive themselves home and continue their daily activities with no assistance.
- With proper administration, PrTMS could give you the desired mental health outcome.
The Bottom Line
The personalized repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation PrTMS can work on your mental health issues such as anxiety and depression. However, it is wise to find a certified psychiatrist who will conduct the procedure at their office. PrTMS has few side effects, no device-drug interaction, and personalized treatment to attain projected mental health outcomes.